Subject: Re: IK fixed in release
From: Joe Angell <[email-masked]>
To: Peter Bowmar <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 04:18:10 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi. I was fooling around with IK in the pre-release, and it works OK, but 
> you can't keyframe the null object! You have to go back and keyframe the 
> objects, or hierarchy. If you're using bones, this is a painfully slow 
> process. 
> 
> At SIGGRAPH, one of the demodrones was having to do the same on the Alpha 
> (I assume pre-release) version. 
> 
> Does anyone know if this is fixed in the release versions? You HAVE to be 
> able to keyframe an IK goal, or else what's the point? Anyone who uses a 
> real IK package won't even look at it. And what I don't understand is, 
> the code to do it can't be hard at all! Just have it update the IK every 
> frame, and keyframe the null. Hell, it updates the IK in near real time 
> now. 
> 
> Somebody, please tell me IK will be usable in the release version! It 
> sure ain't now.

Ummm... that's not a bug.  It's a feature.  It think the point is that 
you can use a combination of IK an standard hierarchial movement 
togetheer, and not be stuck with one or the other.  After you move your 
Goal, just select the top of the chain and hit Create Key (return), and 
then hit "Selected Item And Desenants".  That'll make keys for them all.  
And if you want to, you could parent you Goal to the top of the chain, so 
when the goal is where you want you yous Create Key for Selected Item And 
Desendants, and it's set.  Otherwise, how could you decidedly break the 
IK chain -- say IK isn't doing what you want, of you some exact 
positioning or something weird?  This way you have full control.  Once 
you play with IK with Restrictions, you'll realise just how good it is.

It's an easy thing to program (making the key), but it's more powerful if 
it doesn't.

-- Joe
--
Joe Angell <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]